Saturday, June 12, 2010

Audrey Hepburn Lied

Well day 2 of walking, and we are in Larrasoaña. We are approximately 40km along the camino of 800km more or less. Today was tough. It rained literally all day, in fact it´s raining as I write this. I walked without my rain jacket for almost 20 minutes today.

We left Roncesvalles at about 6:45 and had a wonderful breakfast in the next town, which I forget the name of. Casa Juan, it was amazing. I ordered Orange Juice, and watched the woman cut an orange in half and juice it, then give me the glass. It was so delicious, like eating an orange, but without all that pesky chewing.

Then we walked. today was another mountain day. It was really tough going especially with the rain. Though I discovered something about myself. Right after breakfast, walking out of the town, on the outskirts are a bunch of cattle farms. The smell instantly brought me to the Carstens farm. I thought about Uncle George and Grandma Carstens. I will always associate the smell of cows with Uncle George, in a good way.

Today there were 2 major climbs then descents. The walk up was strenous, but the walk down was more so. The first descent, was hard because they paved it with some kind of formed concrete which made the way kind of trecherous. It wasn´t slippery, but I was too careful to find out if it was slippery anywhere. The second descent was brutal. It was very rocky, quite steep, and muddy. Not a good combination.

To add to the interest of the day, there were a lot of bicigrinos (pilgrims on bikes) I have no problem with doing the camino on bike, but SLOW DOWN! I stopped once to rest and looked back up the pàth, and luckily I did because there were 6 bikes hurtling toward me at breakneck speed. Not fun.

I made it to Zubirri. It was another 5km to Larrasoañn, but I knew I would not make it, so I took a taxi, and I´m so glad that I did.

Tomorrow we go to Pamplona, only a month early for San Fermin and the running of the bulls.

Well until later folks
Adios and Buen Camino
Carrie

5 comments:

  1. that orange juice sounds refreshing and delicious. yum yum yum. this was a great update!! :) ;) you have gone so far! :) :) you go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in the mountains and it was raining. She said very clearly and in perfect English, that the rain in Spain stay mainly on the plain. She lied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, but hopefully the song kept your dancing all along the hike! "Mainly" must translate differently in British English....
    Sending you lots of energy!
    Melissa (Eric and Adam)

    ReplyDelete