Thursday, April 29, 2010

Shopping take 2!

So Sarah and I took our second shopping trip to REI. This time on a Saturday.

Oddly enough we both were returning our boots that we bought on our last shopping trip. I traded in my 150$ boots that were too narrow for my wide feet, and found a fantastic pair with a very wide toe box for 90$. Here they are if you're interested.

Unfortunately the boots were the easiest part of the day. Next it came time to find clothes for the camino. I hate shopping for clothes, I hate trying on clothes, I hate buying clothes. I hate shopping for clothes because I can find lots of cute things, but nothing in my size. So I find what I think might be my size then take it to the fitting room and struggle to squeeze myself into it. Then if I actually find something that DOES fit, it's never flattering. I understand, I'm overweight, but come on designers! People larger than a size 0 want to feel pretty too. I did fine 1 women's short sleeved shirt that fit, it's not very flattering, but well nothing in the store was. I found 2 pairs of men's convertible pants which are even less flattering than the shirt, but they fit and they're light weight and will dry fast, my 2 camino requirements. I also found 1 long sleeved shirt in the men's department that didn't look horrible, but I'm not sure how much I'm going to be wearing a long sleeved shirt. And to add to everything, it's a Saturday so the store is insane. There was a lone to get into the fitting rooms every time, and I always felt rushed because I knew that there were other people waiting in line. I still need to find another short-sleeved shirt. (not looking forward to that)

Then I got the awesome task of finding a rain jacket. Now I didn't realize this, but in order to find a rain jacket that is actually waterproof and won't make you sweat like a pig, you need to take out a mortgage. Honestly I just couldn't see paying over 200$ for a rain jacket. I don't even spend 200$ on a winter jacket and I wear that 6 months out of the year! I eventually fond one for 70$ on the clearance rack. I'm not totally thrilled with it.

Though i did get a piece of good news today. There is an amazing rain jacket made by the Altus company, It's a long-ish jacket, with a hood, and a hump-back, so you can put it on over your pack. This jacket is approximately 35 Euros (45$) I could have bought this, but when I went to the site it said that shipping would be an extra 45 euros (60$). I said no. But I discovered today that it's available in a lot of outdoor store in Spain, including St Jean Pied de Port, so I think I'm going to buy one when we get to Spain, then post my other one home (in case I can't find the other jacket)

I have weighed everything going into my pack, and with everything, I'm 10 ounces shy of 16 lbs! I think I did dang good. Especially considering I included the weight of my poles, which I will be using most of the time. I didn't include water weight, but I'll make due.

Only 39 days until we leave
35 days until the end of school
24 class days
2 finals to write
8 classes of projects to correct.

I think I might actually make it!

Adios and Buen Camino
Carrie

5 comments:

  1. Carrie..... There has been some recent discussion on the Santiago forum about the Altus and the upshot seemed to be you can't buy it in SJPP (in France). Pamplona might be the first place on the CF where you can buy one. Sorry, if I had time I would look for the thread....
    All the best for your prep and hope your new boots suit you well!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit more altus info: The Camino forum thread is: http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/equipment-questions/topic3183-150.html#p50698
    And in that someone says: "I called the shop in SJPP (Maya Sport) today, and asked them it they had the Altus Poncho. They answered that Altus isn't a brand they sell... :( So it seems that buying the famous raincoat in SJPP won't be possible, unless there is another store." And I know when I was in SJPP that was the only sports shop I found, and they didn't carry any ponchos I liked the look of...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then I guess I'll be checking when I get to Pamplona. I have my back-up coat if I can't find one, though I really hope I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so exciting!!!!

    carrie: i would invest in a belt or something. if you start doing all this walking and having different eating habits on this trip, you are gonna drop weight. you will need a belt! probably both for pants and shirts... i dont know what kind of shirts one would wear on a trip like this, but if you start losing weight your tops are gonna start traveling downhill if you know what i mean :P :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ericka

    The pants came with a belt. and for the most part the shirts are button up. I'm not sure about the losing weight thing. Between the fantastic fresh bread and the red wine. I'll just be firming up some spots.

    ReplyDelete