Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Decisions, decisions.

So I've made up my mind. I am going to take the Route Napoleon over the Pyrenees, weather permitting of course. I've been training at the YMCA on the treadmill at a 15% incline. The steepest part of the Route Napoleon is about a 12% incline. So my theory is, if I'm used to 15%, then 12% won't be that hard.

Sarah and I made another decision. Which train to take out of Paris to Bayonne. Well luckily the nonstop train (meaning we don't have to switch) to Bayonne, is also the one that works perfectly with our time table. We arrive in Paris at about 7:30, so figure at least 8:00 by the time we leave the airport after customs and picking up our bags. That leaves us with 3 hours and 50 minutes before our train leaves. We want to eat a real French breakfast, crepes and croissant, then a trip to the Eiffel Tower. I'm told if we get there early, we can beat the crowds, and might even be able to go up the tower. How awesome would THAT be?

Another decision that has been made, is a second shopping trip. We both need different boots. I don't know what Sarah's issues are, but my boots are NOT wide enough for my huge wide feet. I know I said I already bought boots, but I tried wearing them for an extended time, I tried different insoles, they're not wide enough and nothing will make them wide enough. Little did I know when I bought the boots, La Sportiva boots are known for running narrow, so even though I got a wide, it's not wide enough. Oh well I'll exchange and find the PERFECT boots.

So we both purchased sleeping mats when we went on our shopping extravaganza. But from everything I've read, we won't need them/we won't be able to use them. The theory behind the sleeping mat, is that if an Albuerge doesn't have any beds left, you can simply put your mat on the floor and sleep there. Well a lot of places aren't letting people do that anymore, it's a fire hazard. So we've decided not to take our mats, and if we need them later on, there are always mats in the Free Box in the Albuerges, or one can be purchased. So that's 22 ounces less that I have to carry, and can use on other important things, like contact solution.

I made an awesome discovery with the help of another Pilgrim (anniesantiago on the forum) She introduced me to JR Ligget's bar shampoo. I was worried about not having conditioner for over 35 days, but I was also worried about carrying it with me. Well I found the soap, it's sold at most natural food stores, and I tried it. It works great! There's a nice lather in the hair, and when it rinses it rinses clean, but leaves some of the natural oils in your hair so you don't NEED conditioner. I love it. I don't love it enough to use it everyday now, but I love it for the camino. Imagine, all of my hair care needs in a 3oz bar. Fantastic!

Well that's all for now. I hope everyone is well.

Adios and Buen Camino
47 days and 17 hours until we leave! YAY!

4 comments:

  1. oooh thats fantastic!! do they have a trial size of that soap? i would love to try it!

    thats awesome that you dont have to carry your mat! but are you really bringing contacts? i would just wear glasses, but thats me, and i hate contacts... i suppose glasses will just slip down your nose anyway right? DOH! lol

    wow. 47 days doesnt seem very long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you arriving in CDG? It can take a LONG time to clear the immigration lines there. The times I have arrived they only have two desks open to process everyone including EU citizens. It possibly took me nearly two hours to get through to the train.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ericka, they do have trial size, but I don't know if they have them at the Duluth Whole Foods Co-op, that's where I had to go to get mine. And of course I'm going to wear my contacts. 1. my glasses are better designed for academic things than mountaineering. 2. between sun glare and profuse sweating, glasses just don't seem practical for me.
    Kiwi, that's not what I want to hear. But I suppose customs will take as long as it takes. Our train leaves just before noon so we'll definitely make the train, and whatever else we have time for is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) im just now reading these responses.
    lol

    ReplyDelete