Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Pyrenees

To Pyrenees or not to Pyrenees, that is the question
Whether it is nobler in the mind
To suffer the high altitudes and intense grade of climb
Or to take the Valcarlos through the valley

There is a third option that I couldn’t figure out how to fit into my little Shakespear rip-off, and that is to take a bus or a taxi to Roncesvalles.

For those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about, let me shed some light on this for you. If you start the Camino Frances (the route that Sarah and I are taking) in St. Jean Pied de Port in France, your first day (or 2 days if you break it up) is spend trekking over the Pyrenees. There are 2 routes that can be taken. The Route Napoleon (named because this was how Napoleon preferred to get into and out of Spain). This way is very strenuous and shouldn’t be taken during bad weather. Though it is very difficult apparently the view from the top of the Pyrenees is spectacular. The other way is the Valcarlos Route (named because it passes through the city of Valcarlos). It takes a lower path through/over the Pyrenees, though much of the route is spent on roads (Ew!) Both paths end in the city of Roncesvalles.

Here is a map to show you what I'm talking about.


A few weeks ago Sarah and I made the decision NOT to hike over the Pyrenees on the first day of our camino. Then I had a change of heart and had this feeling that I needed to walk over the Pyrenees. I don’t know if I would take the Napoleon or the Valcarlos, but I felt like I should do one or the other.

Well I feel my heart changing again, whether this is due to the severe seasonal allergy attack I am currently suffering or something. I’ve been leaning more toward taking the taxi with Sarah to Roncesvalles. I’m thinking I’ll just play it by ear, see how much sleep I get, if I’m feeling any jet-lag how well last night’s dinner is sitting with me, then make my decision that morning if I should walk or ride. I don’t want to have any regrets on this trip. Will I regret NOT crossing the Pyrenees on foot, or will I regret making my first day too strenuous (ie blisters, pulled muscles or some other physical ailment that might make me have to leave the camino early).

In the end I’ll make the right decision for me. I know that if I do choose to walk I won’t be alone, there will probably be another pilgrim leaving at the same time I do. I’ll keep you posted.

On a happier note I’ve stumbled upon another fantastic video about the camino. If you don’t watch anything else, watch the video from 6:50-7:30 and just try to imagine how many millions of people it took to accomplish that.

Adios and Buen Camino
Carrie
58 Days and 4 hours until our flight takes off!

No comments:

Post a Comment