Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Surreal

I can't quite grasp the fact that Catalinda and I are seriously going to be walking across Spain in less than 3 months. I keep thinking that it's going to feel "real" every time we check off a task on our "to do" list.

1. Decide we're really going to do it. (How weird is that?? We had talked about it for years. Carrie says to me one day, "Let's just DO it! When do you want to go?" El Camino actually begins the moment you decide you're going to do it, which is an incredibly comforting thought to me.)

2. Begin research. (Carrie and I took awhile to get into the swing of "research." Admitedly, Carrie became the hard core researcher. She has been absolutely amazing! I am completely lucky that she took on the role of "head researcher" and ran with it! Without her, I may have ended up in Spain wandering around for a couple of months. Let's face it, I could've ended up in Turkey wandering around for a couple of months.)

3. Start training. (I started walking more, started going to the gym more often, parked my car farther from the building, etc. I've had my setbacks. I've landed myself in Physical Therapy twice this school year. Sheesh.)

4. Buy the tickets. (Holy crap. That was a huge step in making things feel "real.")

5. Begin buying gear. (Carrie wasn't kidding about how friendly the staff at REI was! They seriously spent hours with us and never once were annoyed by our questions or how long we spent trying things on and picking things out.)

6. .... Continue to get in better shape.

7. .... Have a few panic attacks.

8. .... Daydream constantly about the places we'll be and the people we'll meet.

9. .... Try to hang in there until the end of the school year!!

It still doesn't quite seem real. I'm wondering if it will feel real while we're physically walking under the glorious Spanish sun.

1 comment:

  1. Only 89 days and 9 1/2 hours until our flight takes off!

    ReplyDelete